Four multi-tasking exercises that work the arms, hit the core, and vacuum the midsection all at the same time. …read more
Will putting on a pair of Olympic lifting shoes kick up your squat by 20 pounds, or are you better off wearing Chucks? …read more
Sleeping in a cool room, taking cold showers, and wearing an ice vest can increase synthesis of brown fat, production of fat-burning hormones, and even increase muscle mass. …read more
Get a body that reflects your hard work by picking up a few tips from bodybuilders, figure athletes, and other physique competitors. …read more
Nowadays it seems like every third person is a trainer or coach of some kind. It’s time we held some of these lugnuts accountable. …read more
Today on the show we’ve got Jason Leydon on the podcast. Jason Leydon is the head crossfit coach and owner at Crossfit Milford in Connecticut. Jason is the head coach for the professional fitness team, the Philly Founders and has a really smart approach to programming. Jason is also a proponent of the functional movement screen and recently attended a Selective Functional Movement Assessment seminar.
- [2:24] Why we’ve got Jason on the show and Jason’s background
- [6:51] Jason as the head coach of the fitness team Philly’s Founders
- [8:45] Why is smart programming important?
- [14:15] How does programming change from the general population to high level athletes?
- [17:07] How Jason incorporates injury prevention into his programming
- [23:56] How important is volume management for performance and injury prevention?
- [25:56] How do olympic lifts fit into your programming?
- [28:10] Jason’s template for balance with lifts
- [31:10] Should the general population be olympic weightlifting
- [35:33] How does Jason perform assessments in his gym
- [37:50] Jason’s experience with the Functional Movement Screen and challenges with screens in group settings
- [40:10] How do we periodize over the course of the year for our athletes?
- [41:49] Jason on scapular stability
- [43:44] Jason’s favorite and least favorite exercises
- [50:10] How much time goes into writing great programming?
- [51:53] The most important part of the show
Jason’s Gym Crossfit Milford
Power Monkey Fitness Camp
Paused Squats are Still Terrible Regardless of what Jason Says,
Dan Pope DPT, CSCS
P.S. If you enjoyed this article then sign up for the newsletter to receive the FREE guide – 10 Idiot Proof Principles to Performance and Injury Prevention as well as to keep up to date with new information as it comes out via weekly emails.
Standard shrugs are for newbies, and they actually don’t build the traps all that well. Here’s how to really grow some monster traps. …read more
Are bodybuilders or CrossFitters athletes? Are bodybuilding and CrossFit even sports? You might not like the answers. …read more
A program built around the three powerlifts that will make you 15% stronger and 7 pounds bigger in just 9 weeks. …read more
Millions of women between the ages of 18 and 59 exhibit low testosterone levels, resulting in a rotten sex drive, low energy, and difficulty in putting on muscle or burning fat. …read more